Herbster Victim Witness Fund, $41M Loan Approval, Wheelchair Tennis Star
HERE IS YOUR RECAP
International Guide Dog Day
Reed Moore loves these beloved animals to improve the quality of life of people who are blind, visually impaired or have other special needs.
Today’s News: Four female state senators are launching the Herbster Victims’ Witnesses Legal Defense Fund to support people who say GOP gubernatorial candidate Charles Herbster inappropriately touched them. In 2021, the city approved about $41 million in tax-raised finance loans, according to the Omaha World-Herald. And Lily Lautenschlager, 18, of Lincoln, is joining the Junior Team World Cup squad in wheelchair tennis, according to KOLN.
THE FEATURED STORY OF REED MOORE
Pizza, tacos and the mother of all recalls
Check out food writer Sara Locke’s restaurant roundup, published in The Reader.
There’s still a pandemic going on, so Reed Moore implores you to get vaccinated, boosted, and maybe even tested for COVID-19 before dining out at a restaurant.
‘ Rona roundup:
Pfizer wants the Food and Drug Administration to grant emergency use authorization for COVID-19 booster doses in children aged 5-11 years. In the USA, three out of four children have been infected with COVID-19, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Click here to read the report. Vice President Kamala Harris positive tests for the virus. He was prescribed Paxlovid, an oral antiviral treatment, which the Biden administration demands extended accessaccording to Reuters.
By the numbers:
- Here is the latest installment in NOISE’s The Black Church in Omaha series, written by journalist Leo Adam Biga.
- In 2021, the city approved approximately $41 million in financing by tax increase loans, according to the Omaha World-Herald. For more, scroll down to the ‘REED MOORE ON LOCAL GOVERNMENT’ section.
- “[Today’s students] are going to lead us in the next 10 years”: Sharnelle Shelton, candidate for the Omaha Public Schools Board, sits with 1st Sky Omaha.
- City of Lincoln agrees to pay $497,500 in damages to Elise Poole, who was struck by a “rubber bullet gun“, according to his lawsuit, at the hands of a law enforcement officer during a Black Lives Matter protest on May 31, 2020. The injuries suffered by Poole required emergency reconstructive surgeryaccording to Nebraska Public Media.
- Herbster claims: Four state senatorsall Republicans – Rita Sanders, Lou Ann Linehan, Joni Albrecht and Suzanne Geist – launch the Herbster Victims and Witnesses Legal Defense Fund to support people claiming that GOP gubernatorial candidate Charles Herbster touched them inappropriately. Meanwhile, according to KMTV, Herbster drops a advertisement attacking Governor Pete Ricketts, fellow GOP gubernatorial candidate Jim Pillen, and State Senator Julie Slama, which alleges sexual assault at the hands of Herbster three years ago. Slama responds through her attorney, Dave Lopez, who said, “Just as she holds Herbster accountable for her frivolous lawsuit, Senator Slama will take appropriate action to hold him accountable for this latest round of slander against her.”
- President Joe Biden grants clemency to 78 people, including Jose Luis Colunga of Juniata, Nebraska. For more on Colunga’s situation, search/substitute for “Nebraska” on the White House press release, linked here.
- A judge is dismissing a lawsuit filed by Big Red Keno over who is allowed to offer casino games at Lincoln Race Course, according to the Nebraska Examiner. Accordingly, the Nebraska Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association may continue to partner with a wing of the Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska to offer games of chance at its Lincoln racetrack.
- Learn more about barriers to health care for the Yazidi refugee community of Lincoln.
- Lily Lautenschlager, 18, of Lincoln, is joining the Junior Team World Cup squad in wheelchair tennis, according to KOLN. It is planned for represent the United States in Portugal.
REED MOORE ON LOCAL GOVERNMENT
The Omaha City Council approves an alternative process to improve new library locations, skipping the bidding process. The Urban Planning Department provides an update on last year’s tax increment financing projects. The Douglas County Board of Commissioners receives an update from Douglas County Corrections.
FACTS OF THE DAY
From Harper’s Index
Percentage by which more white males than
Black men died of drug overdoses in 2015: 51
Why more black men than white men died of drug overdoses in 2020: 22
Source: Pew Research Center (Washington)
Koterba cartoon. Support him on Patreon.